Monday, January 4, 2010

WOD 100104

Not sure how dated the idiomatic expression to "have your nose out of joint" is, but it truly marks where my workouts went the last part of December.  Too much on the plate - literally and figuratively and too little sleep makes for lousy performance in the gym.  And lousy performance makes for a bad attitude.

This WOD straightened that out.  Well sort of.   A good baselining couplet to start working off the holiday garbage.  90 secs max effort clean and jerk, 90 seconds rest, run 400 m, 90 sec rest.  BUT spend more than 90 secs running the 400, you eat into your 90 sec rest.  5 rounds.

It definitely had been a while since I had done any jerking, and that became blatantly clear in the first round.  While I am not unaccustomed to having lousy form at first and then settling down, and I've even clocked my chin with a barbell, this was by far my best effort today.  Apparently I subconsciously decided that smashing a barbell up my nose was the best way to correct my grumpy disposition.  It hurt, and not a little bit.  Fortunately it was freezing even by my standards, so each run was a little ice down for my schnoz.

1st 400 went in 2:10 so Jerry had me run 300 for the next 3 intervals and finish with a 400.  So it went like this for Rudolph
9 CJ, 2:10 (400)
9 CJ; 1:45 (300)
9 CJ; 1:40 (300)
10 CJ; 1:39 (300)
10 CJ; 2:14 (400)

I didn't like having to scale the WOD.  Period.   I hated it.  And smashing my face didn't make me particularly happy either.  DFL on the first round didn't boost my spirits either.  But I'm not a sprinter, physically or emotionally.  Definitely built for the long haul in both departments and just keep reminding myself to keep moving.   And at the end of the day, at 45, I'm running about a 9 min mile, and hopefully by the end of the year I will be able to string 3 of them together.

The nose... black and blue and painful under sunglasses.  But not broken.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your nose is feeling better! You and I will be back in tip top shape in no time. I know you will! :)

    ReplyDelete