Thursday, October 29, 2009

WOD 091025

Yes that is a Sunday date above.

I ran my first road race in 11 years Sunday.  No it wasn't the USMC Marathon, or even the 10K Fun Run (got to love the USMC sense of humor!)  Rather it was the Goblin Gallop in Faifax - a 5K run (costume optional) to raise money for kids with cancer.   Best of all I ran it with Erin, who thinks this is her last road race before she leaves DC in December.

Road races are like test taking days.  You get to find out just how well you've studied and been diligent about your homework.  My study ethic has been a bit unorthodox by runner's terms.  I have been doing CF for the last 14 months, with a smattering of longer cardio adventures - mostly elliptical in a small gym.  I ran 3 miles at the end of last month and 3.5 on Columbus Day.  That's it. 

So what did I get?  Just what Jerry promised.  A body faster than it was 10 years ago.

Granted the Susan G. Komen Races for the Cure I ran in 97 and 98 were not chip timed to be particularly accurate, but I finished those in about 33min and could probably give myself a generous minute to cross the start in such a huge race.   I finished the Goblin Gallop yesterday in an unoffical 31:15.

It was a bit windy and hilly, particularly in the 3rd mile, when I started to get tired.  I still can't drink from a water stop to save myself, but at least I didn't aspirate... too much.  The first mile was maddening with the lack of space to run, so I was really looking for the outside to get some room.  I ran without my iPod, which would have been fine, except that I've gotten used to having it.  Fortunately "Single Ladies" is probably the most brain hijacking song I've heard in awhile and it was on instant recall in the sluggish moments.  New shoes were great.  So happy to have them and feel well cushioned.  I know pose runners out there are cringing, but one thing at a time.  I'm running!!!!!

So, now that there's one down range, it is time to do it again.  When?  Not sure.   But that USMC fun run sounds like a good target.  I'm open to other ideas... only if you are running with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment