Monday WOD. Always nice to leverage a couple of rest days, and I was looking every one of my nearly 45 years at our holiday party Friday night, so I didn't do much this weekend. Probably should have skipped First Friday. I have no idea what I ate earlier in the week, but I was feeling terrible and looking it too. But when your one of the crew is making their final appearance in the box, you get out of bed, do the WOD and you show up for the party too.
Erin will be really missed... and not just for her Irish name... Erin, Shannyn, Megan and then Christine always is a funny mix working in on a barbell. No I will miss her for her passionate personality. Pretty much like me, she lives life fully and knows how to be really happy and really frustrated. Never lukewarm, never tepid, and rarely timid with big weights and speed, she brought energy to 0515 - well as much as any of us bring. Erin is also a great peer coach, willing to point out form flaws, note improvement, and most importantly knows when to push and when to just turn off the clock or load and call it a form day.
We shared alot more than similar height too at that barbell. It was a privilege to know her through this last deployment and hope that a little of my endurance in the military spouse department was able to rub off. Some of my favorite moments at CFOT include those self imposed after work mile runs along the Potomac. And I have to give her full credit for getting me to run a road race for the first time in years. She was also one of the instigators (with Martha) resulting in me being in a bar without my spouse, dancing to some music I probably was really glad I couldn't discern the lyrics. But the best was sharing a drink and getting out to see Julie and Julia...good movie about good food and good friends.
So now I give her back to her dh and wish her well in Germany. She was lightly chastizing me Friday night to set a goal and do something about that pull up problem of mine. Not sure what is going to happen there, but I hope she is as happy as I am with my 21:00 effort this morning. So incredibly sweet to be able to climb a rope in a WOD, not once but 5 times. (the 3rd one was technically a miss by half an arm's length.) This was totally not happening two weeks ago, and it was frustrating as I could do this once upon a time. It took me over a year to learn it years ago, so it sort of has sentimental value to me. I don't cinch... I wrap. I'm slow and anything but monkey like. But when you've been worn down by life for more than a few years, being able to climb a rope is a great metaphor for pulling yourself out of a hole. It is so empowering and really makes you feel that you can get yourself out of just about any rotten situation. Time to buy me some super socks... my nice long pants keep getting in my foot lock and making me slip.
The rest of the WOD was 75# C&J's... pretty much a form work weight, but that is where I am with Jerks. Still trying to get good form and the elusive pull under the bar. I'm also watching it to make sure that it isn't overhead work that was giving me back trouble last month. In lieu of double unders I did the 30 lateral tuck jumps. They weren't very high or very plyometric, but I worked them. And truthfully, it was nice to work a skill without getting a lashing!
Monday, December 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment